Date(s) - 06/07/2016
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Triwood Community Association
AUDITION NIGHT for SOLO SLOT in Concert
Date: Tuesday 7th June 2016
Location: Triwood Community Association, 2244 Chicoutimi Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2L 0W1
Specific Location: Downstairs lounge in building
Parking: Onsite car park
Information: This is the official AUDITION NIGHT for the solo slot in our forthcoming concert on Sunday 3rd July at the Bella
What I am looking for: A soloist, duet, trio or other small group to perform a rock or pop song stylistically in fitting with the rest of the Cool Choir repertoire (no classical, country, rap, hip hop, death metal, etc) ideally accompanied live by myself on the piano.
PLEASE SEE THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO of my Alive and Singing concert in the UK in 2013 in which two girls performed ‘Get Here’ by Oleta Adams accompanied by myself on piano as a perfect example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScWJMjJtmAQ
Song Length: No longer than 5 minutes please
– Prepare to come to the audition and sing an appropriate song of your own choice. You may use a backing track if you wish to perform over this but please email this backing track to me in advance of your audition so I can have it ready on my iPod for you or alternatively please bring your own MP3 player containing the backing track to plug into my PA system on the day. Please note however that should you be selected to perform at the concert, no backing tracks will be permitted. You will be accompanied by myself LIVE on piano.
– I do not need to hear the whole song – just a verse and a chorus is absolutely fine
– You may also accompany yourself on an instrument of your choice as part of the audition (guitar, piano, etc)
– If you would like me to accompany you on the piano on the audition evening, please email me a copy of the sheet music in advance of the day so that I have time to learn it
– I will be looking to select a performer or performers who can engage with the audience, perform confidently in tune and rhythm while truly expressing the themes of the song
– Please learn your words so that you can engage with the performance fully during your audition, not stand holding a piece of paper
– I will select and notify my chosen soloist through email by Friday 17th June at the latest
– Choose a song you like by an artist you like
– Look into the meaning of the song and understand what the song is about
– If the song is too high or too low for you, let me know and I can help you find the right pitch to perform it
– Be ‘real’ in your song choice. Try to choose more simple rather than ambitious songs which do not require you to be hitting big notes. This maybe fine for an audition but if you get selected, your nerves could get the better of you on the day when you have to perform in front of an audience of hundreds in a concert hall on a large stage!
– Email me on email@example.com or call me on 587-225-0321 anytime you like for some help or advice but please bear in mind that it is impossible for me to tell you which song to sing without knowing you as individual singers yet so if you would like some guidance, please at least have some thoughts on specific songs you are interested in performing first
– Any other questions about anything, let me know please!